Posted by: Lin | 2009-07-14

I was recently diagnosed with anaemia while I was in hospital with pneumonia. I ate a lot in that week and gained 3 kilos.
Now I want to go on a diet to lose 5kg. I am 1.73m tall and weigh 70kg, My BMI is 23 or 24, I know 25 is overweight, but to me this is borderline overweight. I must admit that I don' t look like someone who weighs so much. I have recently tried a diet everyone is following at work, but find that this affects my blood pressure a lot. My medical aid is exhausted and I do not have the money to go and see a dietician to get a proper diet for my situation, so I was just wondering if you could give me some advice.I try to exercise instead, but find it hard to stick to because I am away from home 12 hours a day and then I still need to cook, clean and look after a 2 year old - we all know how much energy they have. Please help !!!!!!!!!

Dear Lin
I trust that you are receiving iron and folic acid supplements? and that you are eating foods that contain easily absorbable iron like lean red meat, fish, egg yolk, iron-fortified breakfast cereals and dried fruit to boost your intake? If not, please go back to the dr for an iron supplement. Your present BMI of 23,4 which NOT borderline overweight, but borderline ideal. For an ideal BMI of 22 you would need to weigh 66 kg, but in view of your anaemia and recent pneumonia, I would like you to take it easy with dieting and exercise. Try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet) and set your goal to lose not more than 0,5 kg per week. Rapid weightloss at this point may make your anaemia worse and weaken your immune system. When you have fully recovered from the anaemia (this can take up to 3 months), then add exercise to your slimming regimen. Brisk walking and skipping are probably the best options for a busy Mom, then you don't need to still go to a gym.
Hope you soon feel much better