Question
Posted by: H | 2012/03/26

Diet after gastric ulcer diagnosis

Hi there DietDoc
I''ve been diagnosed with a gastric ulcer, what foods should I aim to eat (and avoid) to speed up the healing and my recovery? Thanks!

Dear H
I am sorry to hear that you have a gastric ulcer, but at least now that you have a diagnosis, and are receiving treatment, you should be able to cure the ulcer. Gastric ulcers are caused by excess acid production in the stomach and if the patient has food in the stomach this gives the acid something it can work on instead of attacking the stomach lining. In fact, the use of 6 smaller meals a day is a good idea when suffering from ulcers because this would mean that the patient practically always has some food in her stomach to prevent acid erosion. You should try to split up your main meals into 2 smaller meals each. If you suffer from gastric ulcers, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, very fatty foods, etc and all alcohol). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you find that this is too difficult, then please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will help you to pinpoint trigger foods and work out a diet that avoids them. One of the most important factors in excess acid production and gastric ulcers is stress. To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques and how to do deep breathing exercises. An exercise such a yoga can also be beneficial.
I do hope you will soon be feeling much better.

1

Dear H