Question
Posted by: Nina | 2012/01/24

Diet after 35

Is is true that after the age of 35 your diet should include more protein because of muscle loss.

Dear Nina
Please excuse me for only answering your question today, but my home and office were struck by lightning and my poor PC was literally 'fried'. My new PC was delivered this morning! I don't think that people under 65 years need to specifically increase their protein intakes because of muscle loss. Experts do recommend that adults over the age of 65 years can use up to 1.2 g of protein per kg body weight per day. In South Africa we tend to eat a high protein diet in any case (meat, fish, eggs, milk, yoghurt, cheese and legumes), so this should not be a problem at a relatively young age. Keep up your muscle mass by doing exercises and being active.

1

Dear Nina