Question
Posted by: Elise | 2012/05/10

diet

My doctor has put me on a no sugar/no diary products and no flour diet for 2 weeks.
What porridge/cereals can I have for breakfast?
What is the best non diary milk substitute?
Which products can I use that is non flour?

Dear Elise
I presume that your doctor has put you on this diet that excludes sugar, dairy products and flour (probably meaning wheat) because you have an allergy? If you don't have an allergy, I cannot imagine why you would have to avoid this combination of foods? I can't comment on the porridges if I don't know if you are supposed to avoid just wheat flour or if you are supposed to avoid all "gluten". In the light of this lack of information, I can only suggest that you eat maize meal or Maltabella porridge (which don't contain wheat or gluten). There are quite a variety of soya milks and other soya products available which you can use as a substitute for cow's milk. Ask your supermarket manager to show you where the soya products are found (some are with the long-life milks and others like the yoghurt and desserts can be found in the freezer cabinets).
Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & Intolerance' to read more about milk and wheat allergy. You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: www.allallergy.net to find out more about allergies, if this is the reason why the dr has suggested that you avoid sugar, dairy products and flour.

1

Dear Elise