Question
Posted by: Adri | 2011/05/03

Diet

Dear DietDoc

I have been struggeling with my weight since before I fell pregnant. I used to be a gymnast at school and if I look back I cannot believe, I looked so stunning and now I am so overweight and flabby. I have tried Sureslim, The Diet everyone talks about, the 13 day diet, Low GI Diet and so forth. The most succesful one was the Diet Everyone Talks About. But I gained all the weight again afterwards and now my son is almost 5 and I still have most of my pregnancy fat to loose as well. I have been thinking of two diets for a long time now and would like to know your opinion on it: The Fat Loss Lab and Dr Cohen''s Diet. A friend did the Fat loss lab diet and lost so much wieght and my sister lost all her excess weight on Dr Cohens and have kept it off for over a year now. I suppose these must be the best diets at the moment, what do think? I am tired of being so overweght and uncomfortable.

Dear Adri
I can imagine that you are feeling frustrated that you have gained weight when you were a gymnast at school and very thin and trim. Most of the diets you have tried in the past, except the low-GI diet) and list as potential 'new' diets, are all based on the same principle of high-protein, very-low-carbs with varying amounts of fat. You have tried such a diet before, lost lots of weight and as you say, regained it all again. I think you should consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to assist you with a well balanced diet that will help you to lose weight. I do notice that you don't mention if you are doing any exercise? As a former gymnast your body probably responds very well to physical exercise and I would like to recommend that you combine consulting a registered dietitian with joining a good gym or Walk for Life and getting as active as possible again. Another important factor is that you need to stick to the diet you will receive from the dietitian and the exercise plans suggested at the gym or by the Walk for Life instructors. Don't jump around from diet to diet all the time. Give this new regimen a chance to take effect and persevere.

1

Dear Adri