Question
Posted by: Saj | 2011/03/09

Diet

Hi, I am a male 38yrs old and weigh 92kg and am 1.79m tall. I have been trying to lose about 10 kgs for a long time. I gym twice a week. I seldom ever eat junk food and my wife cooks a healthy balanced meal. My problem was that I ate too much, i.e. two helpings instead of one. For the past 2 months I have made the following changes:
- I eat only one smaller helping.
- I eat a bowl of oats for breakfast.
- I snack exclusively on fruit, mixed nuts (unsalted and unroasted) and yogurt throughout the day.
- I eat supper with my family.
Despite this, I have not lost a single kg in two months.

I am not able to gym more frequently due to my schedule. Any advice on why I am not dropping any weight?

Dear Saj
Your present BMI = 28,8 which is in the overweight category. If you could lose those 10 kg then you would be close to the upper level of the normal range with a BMI of 25,6. The normal range for BMI is 18 to 25. The fact that you have not lost weight despite changing your portion sizes, could indicate that the snacks you consume (esp the nuts and fruit), could still be pushing up your energy intake to a level that is higher than the one you require to lose weight. Peanuts for example, are an excellent food being rich in monounsaturated fats (which protect us against heart disease), B vitamins and plant protein, but they have a high energy content of 2431 kJ per 100g, so have a small portion of not more than 30g per day, otherwise this food could hamper your weightloss. Check what a 30 g portion looks like by weighing out this amount on a kitchen scale. Rather eat more fat-free yoghurt and stick to fruits with a lower energy content (citrus fruit, apples, pears, etc). You can also up your energy output by buying a skipping rope and skipping whenever you get a chance so that you can do 30 min of cardio exercise every day and don't always have to go to a gym to do the exercise. Let's see if these changes make a difference. If not, then I would advise you to have a medical checkup to find out if you possibly suffer from insulin resistance or hypothyroidism (which can both hamper weightloss).
Good luck with the weightloss

1

Dear Saj
Good luck with the weightloss