Question
Posted by: Lee S | 2010-09-23

Diet..

Hi Doc,

I have been on quite a " health spree"  over the last 2 months. I eat very healthy - do not follow a strict eating plan as such but i have cut out all the bad stuff (no sweets, chocs, fatty food, pastries, etc). I only drink tea or water (still or sparkling) for a treat i have a smoothy (home made and healthy).

about 4 weeks ago i went to my homeopath and did a detox/colon cleansing for a week.

I am hypoglycemic so i try to stick to low GI stuff. I do however still have a teaspoon of sugar in my tea (2-3 cups a day). If i did not have some sort of sugar in take.. i would literally pass out out a few times a day.

My point is.. I am 1.62m tall, 31 year old female. 2 months ago I weighed 59 kgs. straight after my detox i weighed 55.7kgs. since then i have not managed to loose another gram. in fact i am now weighing 56.3kgs.

3 weeks ago i started exersicing (4-5 times a week). alternating cardio and circuit every day.

my body fat is 29%...

why cant i loose any more weight? am i doing something wrong?

oh... i do have a " cheat"  day every sunday but even then... i do not over do it and either have an ice cream or a small choc bar.

if i can''t loose any more weight, i would at least like to reduce my body fat to about 23% - how do i begin trying to achieve this goal?

Dear Lee S
Seeing that after the detox your present BMI = 21,5 which is below the ideal of 22, there is no way that you should lose more weight. I question your body fat% result, but the only way to lower your body fat % is to do cardio exercise and it takes TIME to reduce this percentage. 3 weeks is certainly not enough time for there to be a change in body fat %. Keep going with the exercise but don't change your diet, esp as you tend to get hypoglycaemic. Aim for a body fat % of 24% which is the average normal value for adult women who are not elite athletes.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-09-24

Dear Lee S