Question
Posted by: Jack | 2010-07-07

Diet

i have a very healthy diet.......oats and added bran for breakfast, piece of grilled steak or chicken with steamed veg and boiled potato for lunch and now in winter a great big bowl of soup for dinner. Not much to snack on during the day except for maybe 2 coffees in the morning and one or 2 teas in the afternoon. here''''s the problem ........6 days out of 7 i have a less than firm stool....what am i doing wrong...? i don''''t eat much bread or starch so perhaps this is the prob?

Dear Jack
Your diet does not contain sufficient fibre of the insoluble type to provide bulk to your stools. Foods that contain insoluble dietary fibre are wheat bran (I don't know if you are eating wheat or oat bran in the morning?) high-fibre cereals like All Bran, legumes (dry, cooked or canned beans, peas or lentils), wholewheat bread and pasta, brown rice and dried fruit. However, if you are regular, don't suffer from constipation and have not symptoms of diarrhoea (cramps, repeated explosive stools), then there is nothing wrong with having soft stools. If you do suffer from daily diarrhoea with cramps and bloating then it may be a good idea to have a medical checkup to see if you don't have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or some other digestive problem. I would also recommend that you have 3 servings of milk or dairy products (yoghurt, cottage and other cheeses) per day to provide you with the 1000 mg of calcium you require every day to protect your bones and teeth.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-07-08

Dear Jack