Question
Posted by: Insuline resistant | 2009-08-30

Diet

I have tried to work out my own diet. Glucerna SR (shake) in the morning and evening and cooked meal in the afternoon. Strawberry and other fruit for snaks.

Do you think it is a healthy option untill I get time to go to a dietitian. I also started to gym - I know the balanced diet and excercise have to work together.

Thanks in advance

Dear Insulin Resistant
I am not sure if the Glucerna shake will supply you with sufficient low-GI energy to sustain your insulin levels. You do need to see a dietitian as soon as possible because it is essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a clinical dietitian, as the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. It is good that you will be going to the gym as dialy aerobic exercise will also help to control your blood insulin and glucose levels, and also promote weightloss if this is necessary.