Question
Posted by: Lauls | 2009-08-20

Diet

hi pls help me. I am changing my diet and have some questions. I have stopped all sugar completely-I checked the labels and don' t buy anything with sugar. I am also stopping with dairy completely. I want to lose about 5-10 kgs but this is mainly for health reasons.
I am doing exercise and yoga so this should help the weight loss but I want to know if I will be getting adequate nutrients and wont put on weight from eating too much fruit??
I am now generally eating:
1. Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs, 1 ryvita, half pineapple or papaya.
2. Snacks during day: I take 3 fruits either banana, pears, berries, apple, naartjies. I take a handul of almonds or raw cashews, 1 soya yoghurt.
3. Lunch is hummus or no-sugar added peanut butter on about 6 ryvitas, tuna salad or chicken salad with balsamic.
4. Supper is baked sweet potato &  veggies with those lite crumbed chicken or fish, red meat once a week. Or I will have brown rice with soy sauce and veg.
5. I am using olive oil and soy sauce when cooking. I use salt because of low blood pressure.

I want to buy goji-berries for snacking as well.
I also use zylitol in my coffee.

I want to know if this diet is not too much food, and if its fine to eat more fruit because I am not eating bread and any junk food.

Also, are there nutrients this may be missing that are essential (I do take a multivitamin, omega 3 &  6, zinplex, and vita b6 &  b12 pills every morn).

Dear Lauls
I presume that you are avoiding the bread and dairy products because of allergies? If you do not have allergies then there is no slimming reason to avoid these foods and you would do well to use fat-free milk, yoghurt and cottage cheese (at least 3 portions a day) to ensure that you obtain the 1000 mg of calcium you require per day. You should lose weight on this diet provided that your portion sizes are not too large. Fat is the most energy dense nutrient providing 37 kJ per gram, so if you reduce your fat intake this should lead to weightloss. If you don't include milk and dairy products then you will need to use a calcium supplement such as MenaCal.7. The rest of your nutrients should be more than well provided by this diet and all the supplements you take. It may also be a good idea to start doing some regular exercise if you want to lose 10 kg!