Posted by: Wendy | 2009-02-19

Hi Diet Doc

Can you please tell me if my diet is sensibal? I am 25 years old and weight 95kg' s. I am about 5' 3 so I think I need to loose about 30-35kg' s. My diet is as follows:
Breakfast: 2 cakes of Weetbix with low fat milk
Lunch: 4 Provitas with thinly sliced tussers-NO MARGERINE!
Dinner: 1 piece of I &  J' s extra light crummed fish with McCaines mixed veggies-about 2 cups.
Snacks: Banana, 100ml yoghurt and a peaach or plum.

Can you prehaps tell me the calorie/kilojule content of my diet? Is it too lilttle, too much?? I am trying to exercise about 4-5 days a week doing Tae-Bo.

Thank you,

Dear Wendy
Your present BMI = 37,1 which is extremely high. To get back to a BMI of 25 which is the top end of the normal scale you need to weigh 64 kg, thus as you say, a loss of 31 kg. The diet you suggest should cause weightloss, I estimate it contains less than 1500 kcal or 6300 kJ, so you may find that it slows down weightloss after a while as it is lacking in energy. If this should happen, try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). If you find that you are losing weight and getting fitter you can also start doing additional aerobic exercise like skipping for 30 min a day. Start slowly for a short period and then increase how fast and long you skip as your stamina increases.
Wishing you all the best with your new regimen