Posted by: Marc | 2009-02-16

Dear Doc,

For a while i have been needing to see a dietician to discuss my eating habits...and definitely improve on them....

my reason for not having due to my lack of knowledge as to what this professional does?

Do they check ur vitamins, minerals, do they do a full body assessment? in terms of underlining illnesses, etc? Please could u share some light on this...many thanks.

PS: also where i can find a contact for a dietician in my area

Many thanks,

Dear Marc
A dietitian would generally do a diet history of a patient to determine what the patient eats and in which quantities. Then depending on the condition the patient has (e.g. overweight, deficiencies, allergies, diabetes, etc), the dietitian will work out an individual diet prescription for the patient that addresses the patient's specific problems (e.g. need to lose weight, need to reduce salt intake, etc). If the dietitian needs additional information she/he may ask for any results you may have of blood tests (e.g. cholesterol, thyroid hormone, insulin, etc) or arrange that you have relevant tests done. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area.