Question
Posted by: Mahomed Mansoor | 2010-10-28

Diazepam

I can''t get off diazepam. Have cut down from 30mg/d to 5mg twice a day. Keeps me " sane" . Is it ok as long as I control it?

One important question would be - can you truly control it ? Congratulations on having cut it down from 30 mg a day to 10. But several aspects of this situation worry me. A good doctor should not prescribe such a high dose over any length of time for anyone, knowing that the development of dependence is likely, and that coming off the diazepam / valium would be difficult.
If you still feel it "keeps you sane" one wonders what's happening, as diazepam keeps nobody sane. Maybe you're finding that when you reduce it further you get withdrawal symptoms and feel bad, and feel better when raising the dose again. Maybe there's also a significant degree of anxiety underlying all this.
It sounds as though you may be under treatment by a GP who may not be expert in this area of medicine. Best that you see a proper expert specialist psychiatrist for a full assessment, and an examination of the treatment options. For instance, CBT psychotherapy is very effective in treating anxiety, and drugs also used as antidepressants can also help anxiety considerably.

2
Posted by: Mahomed Mansoor | 2010-10-28

Thank you Professor, You are correct - when I try to cut down further, I get widrawal, but I do not exceed 10mg/d now. I shall go see a psychiatrist as you suggest.

Reply to Mahomed Mansoor