Posted by: Elsa | 2009-06-27

Diatomaceous earth

I have heard that diatomaceous earth can be used as an alternative for tick and flea control on pets. Is this true, and what possible effects will it have on pets?

Dear Elsa

I have no idea.

Posted by: Kate | 2009-06-29

If you ever find out where to get it please let us know - I prefer to go green myself.
Currently I am using Flea Buster which I get from my homeopathic vet.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Chill | 2009-06-27

Yes it will work, and it will have no effect on either you or your pets.

However, the diatomaceous earth you get for swimming pools isn' t adequate - you need the food (or pharmacological) grade type, and here' s the problem - hardly anyone seems to stock it.

It looks like a powder, but in fact it' s very tiny razor-sharp little fragments of crustaceans - diatoms - which damage the waxy coating of insects, and cause them to dehydrate and die. So, it will work not only for fleas, but also -|- roaches etc.

You sprinkle it on your pets, on carpets, bedding etc - don' t breathe it in and don' t get it in their eyes.

It' s not instant, because obviously every insect has to come into contact with it, then dehydrate and die - but it' s certainly a very ' green'  way to go!

Reply to Chill