Question
Posted by: Dolla | 2012/10/15

Diary and gluten free diet

Hi doc,

Please advice. I''m gluten intolerance and allergic to diary (just found out) been coughing for 5 years!

What should I avoid? I know anything with diary and gluten, but am unsure about rice,patotoes ect.

What can I eat?

Dear Dolla
I am sorry to hear that you are both gluten intolerant and also allergic to dairy products because it is very tricky to manage this type of diet and still maintain good health. Because of the complexity of avoiding so many foods and also food components (most processed foods contain some or other form of wheat or some or other form of milk product), I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to guide you through the initial phases of getting used to your gluten- and dairy-free diet and to also ensure that you do not develop deficiencies (for example cutting out all dairy product exposes you to the risk of a calcium deficiency which can cause osteoporosis and other problems). Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & Intolerance' to read more about dairy and wheat allergy. You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: www.allallergy.net to find out more about foods that contain these allergens.

2

Dear Dolla

Hi though I am not the Doc LOL. I also just found out I am gluten intolerant. Brown Rice and potatoes are fine, so is maize meal. Most products made from maize and rice are fine. Rice cakes. It is everything made with white flour that is prohibited. Check out Dischem they have a lot of products but really expensive. Good luck.