Posted by: Zita | 2009-06-10

Diarrheoa with liquid diet

My father is on a liquid diet at the moment as his jaw is wired closed after jaw and mouth surgery. So he can only have liquids through a straw. A dietician gave us a list of what foods etc he can have. But after each time that he has a bowl of soup or anything he has very runny stools. Is this normal? Is there anything we can give him to help with this?
Thank you!

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Zita

An adequately formed stool is dependant on the intake of sufficient fibre in the diet. Obviously, if there is only liquid in, there will be only liquid out!

There are various 'bulking' agents that one can add to water which he would be able to drink and which may well help a lot. Chat to your pharmacist and I'm sure he / she will be able to advise you.

I would suggest that once he is back onto a more normal diet that he consider taking a probiotic supplement for at least one month to help re-establish the correct micro flora balance in the digestive tract.