Posted by: Janet | 2009-04-21

Diarea caused by new eating?

Dear DietDoc,

About a week ago, I started an eaitng plan which I can do for life. It' s not a diet. I haven' t been eating much veggies and starches/carbs in the last couple of years and for the past few months, I basically lived on a meal replacement shake twice a day and salad/sushi/soup for lunch and healty snacks in between. I wanted to starts eating properly again to aid my exercise as I started to feel very weak. I did lose the weight I wanted to and haven' t gain again.

About a week ago, I started eating something like this:

Breakfast: Jungle B-Fast (half before run, half after - 50g)
Snack: Fruit / Slim Slab / Tea / Chicory with Soy Milk
Lunch: Veggies (Sweet Potato/Carrot/Gem Squash/Broccoli/Butternet) with a bit of Brown Rice &  a little bit of protein (Chicken/Fish)
Dinner: Salad with rest of protein (Chicken/Fish)

I feel a lot stronger and healthy, but then yesterday, I got diarea. Could it be my new eating pattern causing this?

Dear Janet
I am indeed glad that you have stopped using shakes for 2 meals a day and that you have started eating normal food again. The diarrhoea you experienced is probably one of these '24-hour gastric infections' that do the rounds periodically. If you find that the diarrhoea continues for more than 3 days, please consult your gp to find out what is causing it. Your proposed diet does contain a lot more dietary fibre than your previous shake-based diet, so this could be overstimulating your digestive tract. Always reintroduce dietary fibre gradually so that your bowel can get used to the increase.
Hope you tummy settles down

Were you using Herbalife shakes?

Posted by: Janet | 2009-04-21

Thanks Doc! Would you consider this a good eating pattern?

Reply to Janet