Question
Posted by: Shaza | 2009-02-20

Diahrea from kitten to daughter?

Can our +/_ 3month old kitten give my 4 year old daughter recurrent diahrea (tummy bug)? The kitten has received her first vaccination already. Does this vaccination prevent Giardia and has this disease have anything to do with my daughter becoming ill? My daughter has been at home with me since birth and is an only child, so she has thus far been exposed to relatively hygienic environment. This is her first pet and exposure to germs I susspect is rife now that the kitten has joined our household. Is this normal for her to get bouts of diahrea and if so will she it become less over time as her immune system builds up? My daughter has had 2 bouts of diahrea within space of 1 month. I clean out the litter tray and I see that all seems to be okay with the kitten' s stool.

Thank you.
Shaza

Dear Shaza

Your cat should not give your cat diarhoea. Gairdia is not covered by the vaccination but can affect humans. Speak to your vet and doctor about doing a faecal evaluation of the cat and your daughter.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2009-02-20

Your doctor is the one to ask these questions - kitten diarrhea is as far as I know not transmissible to humans - however: the key to your problem probably lies in the very fact that your daughter' s immune system has not developed due to her isolated life thusfar, and the kitten is introducing new elements into her life.

All these little childhood ailments do serve a purpose in helping keep us healthy in the long term!

Reply to Chill