Posted by: Anon | 2009-09-13

Diagnosis problems

I am a particularly healthy and active individual, who never even gets a cold. Last year my housekeeper was very ill with TB and we got her meds from the clinic and she is back to good health. I have for the last 4 months at least been sick continuously with colds, flu, bronchitis and then flu again. Nothing has worked up to now - viral immune builders, anti-biotics, popular effervescent tablets, cough mixture etc. I have returned and returned to the GP and pharmacist advising them that I have a post nasal drip, which is causing me to cough. I regularly cough which causes me to spit thick green-yellow-brown mucus which is utterly disgusting. They now have me on anti-histamine tablets in conjunction with an anti-viral throat spray. I have been using it religiously for the last 7 days and honestly it has not improved even a slight bit. Every trip to the doctor cost at around R 300 and every batch of medicine between R 150 and R 450. I have informed the doctor and pharmacist of my fear of TB, but they are both adamant that this is not the case.I am tired of being sick and it is costing a fortune and nothing works, so I can only assume that I am getting the wrong diagnosis. Other symptoms are sore throat, blocked ears (which cause impaired hearing) and pain inside ears. Please can you assist with an alternative theory / suggestion. Thank you!

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Anon

It is impossible to make a diagnosis without an examination. I suggest you see a physician who will do a full examination, as well as excluding TB, if this is clinically indicated. If need be you may be referred to an ENT regarding your cough. Spitting thick green yellow-brown mucous is most definitely not normal.