Question
Posted by: Mike | 2011-03-13

Diagnosis &  Treatment of Lymph problems - Eastern Cape

Hi Dr Bets

Please can you guide me on finding diagnosticians and treatment facilities for Lymph related problems in Uitenhage and PE. Family GP’ s are generally dismissive of the condition bit it seems to be a growing problem both for my mother (75, Uitenhage) and myself (46, PE).

My mom’ s case is more worrying, as she has experienced debilitating pain in the left inguinal area with what seems to present with a hard, fibrotic node measuring over 2 cm –  possibly exacerbated by stenting in the area, as well as lifetime of arthritis. She needs to have a knee replacement on the same left leg, but there seems little benefit to considering how limited her mobility is by Lymphadenopathy,

Who can she consult in the Uitenhage / PE area to assist with:

1. Diagnosis, potentially requiring biopsy, CT/MRI scan
2. Treatment
a. Massage and physio for drainage
b. Biokineticist to improve mobility and drainage
c. Compression stockings and devices
d. Surgeon for possible removal of inguinal node –  probably stage II or III

There are limited specialist resources in the EC - such as only one rheumatologist and one endocrinologist - and am perplexed on finding a way around indifferent, ignorant GP''s to ease the suffering of what seems to be a widespread problem.

Keep up the great work - Mike.

Mike

Unfortunately, I am situated in Cape Town and is not familiar with any specialists. I suggest that you contact a surgeon for assistance. You will be able to get details from your nearest private hospital.

1
Posted by: Rika | 2011-03-14

Mike,ek verstaan jou probleem.Ek bly in Uitenhage,en glo my dit is n probleem om n dokter te kry wat regtig na jou luister en moeite doen om jou te help.Hulle kan nie diagnoseer nie,en stuur jou vir al die duur toetse.Indien dit nie iets wys nie,laat hulle jou voel asof jy aansit en aandag soek.Sterkte met jou soeke na n ordentlike dr wat jou kan help.

Reply to Rika