Posted by: KP | 2009-04-20

Diagnosed with Keratosis Pilaris

Dear CyberDoc

M Dermatologist diagnosed me with Keratosis Pilaris today after my GP believed I had an allergy and referred me to him. It is all over my chest, stomach, upper legs and lower and upper arms.

I am rather petrified knowing this is an incurable disorder.

He gave me 15% cortisone cream mixed with Epimax to try and clear it up, whereafter I will always be applying Epimax only.

Doctor, I am just rather dumbfounded. I am 21 years of age now. Does this condition not start in childhood? How can I get it at age 21? Is that possible?

Secondly, I would just like to please know whether this condition can ever be a sign of initial HIV infection in people?

Thank you doctor.

Dear KP
This can be more pronounced in teenagers and young adults and it tends to improve with age. This is not a sign of HIV infection. It can be treated with steroids and retinoid creams.