Posted by: Gina | 2011-03-14

Diagnosed with Eustachian tube dysfunction

My ENT has diagnosed me with Eustachian tube dysfunction and has given me two nasal sprays (Iliadin only for 5 days and Avamys) this didnt help so he gave me cortisone (panefecort - not sure of spelling) for 5 days and this helped a little... but now i''ve just had a cold and now my ears are " full" . The last resort is grommets, but i''m really looking for another solution maybe a diffent nasal spray? - as i REALLY do not want to have the surgery - i suffer after generals and post surgery feelings due to a previous traumatic event. Please help??

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear G

You are on the correct management for your condition, and you have been on the best available management. Only time could solve the problem, so you could wait for three months, on the nasal cortisone spray, to see if the condotion stabilises. This is often very uncomfortable, so patients may require the grommets earlier, as this gives instant relief.
You should discuss this with your ENT, as it may be worthwhile to wait a bit if there is no other reason to proceed sooner.
(Avamys is a topical cortisone nasal spray).