Posted by: Nikki Northey | 2009-07-15

Diagnosed with code 2 haemorrids

I have just been diagnosed with code 2 haemorrids. I would like to know what is the best diet to help. I gave up drinking 27 months ago and have since been struggling with going to the toilet regulary. Please can you advise me, thanks Nikki

Dear Nikki
I trust that you are receiving medical treatment for your haemorrhoids. I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to assist you with a diet prescription that will ensure regularity without making the haemorrhoids worse. Eating a diet that is rich in dietary fibre and some oil (olive oil) should assist you to pass soft stools and preventing straining. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read Articles 123 and 124 about healthy colon practices and what to eat to keep your colon healthy. The use of probiotics "good microorganisms" such as Bifidoflora (buy at health shops or from your dietitian) are recommended specifically for the treatment of disorders of the colon (large intestine).