Posted by: LABGIRL | 2009-01-27

Hi, My husband has always had quite a good temper and drinks about 2 to 4 double brandies each night. Lately I have noticed that he has terrible mood swings, when he drinks, either when he has had too little or too much. He is overweight, has high blood pressure, gout &  cholesterol, which is all under control, with med' s. I remember once reading that if you are a diabetic, the alcohol can " change"  your personality. Is that true or what do you think can be the problem?

Expert ImageArchive

Mood swings can have multiple causes. Poor blood sugar management is certainly one of the factors that needs to be considered as a possible cause, especially if he has a high sugar intake (? what does he have with the brandy).

You mention various conditions that he suffers with, but not diabetes. I would suggest having his blood sugar evaluated as this may provide the answer.