Question
Posted by: Connely | 2011-03-31

Diabetis

I am 64 and in all aspects in shape. Low fat %, BMI in ideal range. Gym a lot and physically fit. However I am in the high range and nearly a diabetic (Diabetis runs in the family) The question is I eat a lot of fruits at least 4 to 5 fruits a day primarily for lunch.Generally I stick to low GI food except on weekends. I have been told that fruit can also aggrevate the problem. Is this true?

Dear Connely
In view of what I presume are your high blood glucose and insulin levels (?), I would recommend that you eat 3 vegetables and 2 fruits per day rather than 5 fruits, to achieve your 5-A-Day. Fruit does contain fructose (fruit sugar) which has been implicated in the development of type 2 diabetes in susceptible individuals. Deciduous fruits (apples, pears, plums) and citrus fruits (oranges, grapefruit, naartjies, etc) have a lower GI than tropical fruits, so also try to always eat at least one deciduous or citrus fruit, and not 2 tropical fruits per day. The fact that you are so fit with a low body fat% and ideal BMI and do lots of exercise should keep the condition under control. Just have regular checkups because of the family history of diabetes.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-03-31

Dear Connely