Posted by: Cheeky | 2009-04-16

Diabetic type 1, querying Pregnancy

I am a Insulin dependant diabetic and have been for 5 years, I am now 26 and a nurse I go to for my contraception says that I only have a short window period in which I can have kids because of this flipping disease. Are there any type 1 diabetics that could advise me on this as I do not want to rush into have kids just incase I can' t later??

If yur diabetes is well controlled and you have no eye or kidney involvement, pregnancy should be okay. As these complications happen sooner or later, it is advisable to have your children before they occur. It is important for your sugars to be very well controlled when you fall pregnant, so see your doctor when you plan to fall pregnant.