Question

Diabetic sport drinks

Hi, Doc

What sport drinks are suitable for diabetics?

I' ve done my own little research: I know Powerade and Energade contains sugar which will surely affect blood sugar. Game sport drinks does contain artificial sweetners, but in the ingredient list there is also sucrose in. On the internet you get " Powerade Zero"  but I haven' t seen it in the shops.

Please help, thank you

Dear Anon
You will need to discuss the type of energy drink you use with your dietitian because she/he will have to accommodate the carbohydrate in your daily diabetic diet prescription. Just drinking water will not provide you with sufficient energy to exercise and having large volumes of sweetened energy drinks will interfere with your glucose control. The dietitian may recommend that you have a serving of low-GI carbohydrate before exercising and then use one serving of medium-GI carbs while you exercise plus water with electrolytes during exercise and another portion of higher-GI carbs when you complete your exercise routine. As you can see, this is a complex problem that needs to be worked out individually for you taking all your special requirements into account. So please contact your dietitian for the correct prescription.

1

Dear Anon