Question
Posted by: Wendy | 2009/10/13

Diabetic Puppy

Should I be asking for a second opinion on the diagnosis - or did I just waste your time askikng my question?

Dear Wendy

Go with a food that your vet is comfortable with. You need to tackel this problem with your vet and not try and make your vet only a part of the solution.

6
Posted by: Wendy | 2009/10/16

Hi Cybervet, thanks for your reply. The puppy is back at the vet today. We are struggling to stabilise his glucose levels. He eats like a horse but in 4 days he has lost another 100g and now weighs 1.6kg. My vet advised that I will probably have to consider having him put to sleep :( I' m heartbroken.

Reply to Wendy
Posted by: Cybervet | 2009/10/15

Dear Wendy

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2009/10/14

You' re in a very awkward situation and I can quite imagine it' s upsetting.

However, I still think your vet is the best one to help you - there is no point in his telling you to get stuff that isn' t available, and then opting out of offering an alternative solution.

In need, you' ll quite probably have to follow Kate' s advice to prepare fresh food - but again, your vet will have to supply you with the information you require to get this going.

Try googling this (including quotation marks"  - " diabetic puppy"  - you will find some info, including a link to a site called www followed by diabeticdogfood.biz, which apparently includes a section on puppies.

Good luck - hope things aren' t as bad as you fear.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Kate | 2009/10/14

Have you tried a homeopathic vet.
If in Durban try Jane Fraser - google her name and I am sure you will get her contact details.
I suggest perhaps feeding a homemade diet.
I do with my dogs, although none have diabetes but, on kibbles one developed a digestive problem.
Good luck and if you find a solution let us know.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/10/14

Hi Chill

The reason I enquired was that we are having difficulty in finding diabetic (brand) food that such a young puppy is alllowed to eat. My vet told me to give him a low fat, low carbohydrate diet. I was just trying get some more advice.
Now the vet says if the sugar levels don' t stabilise, he could very well have something wrong with his brain. I just feel so upset and helpless and was just asking for someone elses thoughts on the situation, nothing more.

Posted by: Chill | 2009/10/13

I think the cvet means that if you have been to the vet and have been given a diagnosis and treatment, it is pretty well inevitable that the vet concerned would have discussed the dietary management of the puppy with you. If he or she didn' t, then I suggest you find a new vet.

Reply to Chill