Question
Posted by: Zee | 2010/10/14

Diabetic Obese

I am a 27year old, insilin using diabetic female. I am weighing 131 kg and feel very uncomfortable. I have a urge for always eating and craving all sorts of stuff and binges on junk food.

Can U please give me any advise on what to do or how to loose weight fast and effective and change my eating habits. I have been to dieticians but will only keep up for 2 or 3 weeks then go back to my normal ways, have no resistance or cannot hold on for to long.

Please help. I am desperate.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Zee,
Thank you for your question. I am concerned to see that you continue to feel out of control in your eating habits, despite your serious diabetic condition. Although you are likely very overweight (you haven't provided me with your height) and should be looking for a way to lose weight, you would be making a very wrong choice trying to lose weight quickly. The reaosn for this is that losing weight quickly almost always requires a very restrictive dietary intake and/or the use of diatary aids that are almost always dangerous and unsuccessful in the long-term. I suggest that you persist with a well-balanced and moderated meal plan designed by a registered dietician and accept that you should not lose more than 1 kilogram a week. Afer all, this approach will likely result in you losing 12 kilograms in three months, which is pretty good going. What's more, losing weight moderately gived you a much better chance of keeping that weight off as your metabolic rate will not be compromised. I also strongly suggest that you start keeping a food diary/journal in which you record the time you eat, your food and quantity, as well as a short description of how you are feeling emotionally. Not only has research shown that people keeping a food journal are far more successful in keeping to a diet and losing weight more successfully, but by monitoring your emotions, you will likely make a link between where you are emotionally and how that affects your food choices and eating habits. If accesable, you could also see a psychologist, who should be able to assist you in making the link between where you are emotionally and how that affects your eating habits. Try starting with the journal. Please remember to be very compliant to your insulin and never forget to keep monitoring your blod sugar levels. Poorly managed diabetes can be devastating. If you lose significant weight, you will likely resolve your diabetes, which should provide good incentive. Best of luck. Regards, Graham

4
Posted by: Graham Alexander | 2010/10/15

Hi Zee,
In future, please ask new questions as a separate and new post as I seldom revisit a question to which I have already replied. Although I''m not a biokineticist, bariatric patients on our surgery unit are all morbidly obese and are encouraged to swim in order to become fitter and lose weight. I suggest you look at this option, as it poses no mechanical strain on the body. Aqua-aerobics is also great. If you cannot swim, an exercise bike is far safer than running, skipping, etc. Given your weight and recent orthopaedic condition, I''d suggest you see a qualified biokineticist to have a personalized programme designed. They are also covered by medical aid. Regards, Graham

Reply to Graham Alexander
Posted by: Zee | 2010/10/15

Thank you Graham

As I said I weigh in at 131kg and my height is 1.72. I have also recently broken my leg and the doctor suggested I loose weight very fast.

I would also like to find out what the best excersice is for me to do due to my condition as I cannot jog at this stage. I am also afraid of skipping rope.

I have come to a point now that I realise that my obesity is a huge problem, I am already wearing size 50 clothes and size 9 to 10 shoes and I have to do something.

Thanx very much for your advice.

I certainly hope there is something more that I can do.

Reply to Zee
Posted by: Zee | 2010/10/15

Thank you Graham

Thanx very much for your advice.

Reply to Zee
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2010/10/15

Hello Zee,

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert