Question
Posted by: Delene | 2009/11/12

Diabetic diet for a week

Dear Doc,
I must congratulate you for your quick response to answer all our querries - well done! We realize that you must be very busy with other things as well.
The Diabetic diet for a week on the Diabetic forum - are these quantities of food for ladies or men? Will I lose weight on this diet? I' m a 59 yr old female and would desperately like to lose weight. I would like to try this low GI diet.

Dear Delene
Thank you most sincerely for your kind words. I am indeed extremely busy with so many different projects that I get rather tired sometimes. The diabetic diet is only intended as a general guideline to patients suffering from diabetes. Anyone who suffers from diabetes, insulin resistance or overweight and/or metabolic syndrome needs to have an individual diet prescription worked out for him or her. It is It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The same applies to anyone who would like to lose weight using a low-fat, low-GI diet. Rather consult a dietitian because you need a diet that is specific for you. The dietitian will use your present weight, height, age, levels of activity, degree of overweight, level of fitness and other factors to determine your food portions if you use a low-fat, low-GI diet. Just eating low-GI food is not enough, you also have to know how much otherwise you may not lose weight. So for your own sake please do consider consulting a dietitian for an individual slimming diet. If you do try the low-GI diet on this Website then keep your portions moderate and include some daily exercise to increase how much energy you use up every day.

1

Dear Delene