Question
Posted by: erin | 2009-02-02

Diabetic Detox

After the festive season, i would really like to follow a detox diet for a while - only thing is that I am a type 1 diabetic (insulin-dependant) and still need to get an intake of enough protein and carbs to prevent me from going into a hypoglycemic episode.
Can you suggest something?

Dear Erin
As a type 1 diabetic there is NO WAY you can go on any harsh detoxification diet or treatment without endangering your health severely. Detox diets are not necessary. If you stick to your low-fat, low-GI diet and do regular exercise (as permitted by your dr) then you will get over the excesses of the festive season. I trust that you are also under the care of a clinical dietitian? if not then it is essential that you have an individual diabetic diet prescription worked out for you and your specific needs (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and search for the article "DETOX DIETS - DO THEY WORK OR ARE THEY HARMFUL?" which I wrote to warm Readers against these practices.