Posted by: Jacques Otto | 2010-10-30

Diabetic Child does not eat

My child is Diabetic and refuses to eat food. He is 4 and only eats snacks (Crisps and Chips). He used to eat until we put him into a kindergarden. We are now stressed as his sugar can not be stabilized with out eating proper solids. Can one get a child therapy or psychologist to help sort this out as it seems to be a mental block that has been developed

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Jacques,
This is obviously not an adult or adolescent eating disorder, the area of my expertise, but you are correct in needing at least a dietician who specialises in children and possibly a child psychologist/psychiatrist who will deal with this food refusal problem. This is not an unusual problem, but one that needs to be dealt with promptly, especially in light of your child's diabetic condition. Should you live in the Cape Town area, please email me and I will be able to recommend you some specific names of specialists. I also know of a few specialists in the Johannesburg area.