Question
Posted by: Chacha | 2009/03/19

Diabetic and pregnacy

Hi Doc,

My Husband has been dignosed with type one diabetes four five years ago, we have a three year old son and i just want to find out what impact if any would that have on him impragnatng me.

Thanks in advance for your answer

Dear Chacha

The fact that your husband has diabetes can affect his sperm count and quality. If however he is well controlled then it may not affect your chances of falling pregnant. The best way to determine if the presence of diabetes in your husband will affect your fertility is to assess your husband’s sperm sample for the count, the quality and the motility.

Answered by: Dr. Y.M. Dasoo