Question
Posted by: Renil | 2011-09-28

Diabetic

Can a diabetic have instant jungle oats instant with water(no sugar) 45 minutes before an intense training session at the GYM.

Dear Renil
I trust that you are using a low-GI diet which has been worked out for you by a registered dietitian? If so, you may have GI Lists of foods or the South African Glycemic Index & Load Guide by Gabi Steenkamp and Liesbet Delport which you can obtain by visiting the Website of the Glycemic Index Foundation at: www.gifoundation.com This book lists Instant Jungle Oats-so-easy, Natural flavour, as having a low GI of 54, so if you need a slow-release source of energy before your intense training session at the gym because of your diabetes, then you can use this product and even add low-fat milk or yoghurt to it. If you need a more rapid boost of energy then you may need to use the other flavours of Instant Jungle Oats-so-easy, which have a GI of 130! This is why I emphasise the importance of having a registered dietitian to work out which foods you need to use and when, esp if you do intensive training. If you do have the other flavours with the high GI, then I would recommend that you have a low-GI snack immediately after exercising to get your blood sugar and insulin levels back to normal and to prevent hypoglycaemia.
Always mention what type of exercise you intend doing to your dietitian because you need to know what type of food, how much and at what time you can eat before and after exercise.
Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area, if you have not done so before.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-09-28

Dear Renil