Question
Posted by: Nix | 2010/07/29

Diabetic

Hi, I am a qualified personal trainer with some Nutritian background, I often do nutrician advice when doing asessments and training programs, this is more than often for woman but do get some males on the odd occasion.

This weekend I did some assessments and training programs for a couple. The male used to be quite into bodybuild like training routines and eating habits, however he was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 2 years ago, since then all has gone downhill.

I have done quite a bit of reading on this type of diabetes however, I find that some of his questions are quite over my head! He has received a diet from a dietician before but is not sticking to it because he wants to get back into his " bodybuilding-like"  routine.

According to his bodyweight, to maintain his weight he requires 2940 kcal (34 year old male), however he currently has 20.2% bodyfat and his BMI is 30.2. Based on nutrition guidelines for diabetics I have recommended 2500kcal a day, all low GI food incl fruit and veg. He is taking a protein supplement:
275 kcal
23g Protein
45g Carb
0.75 Fat

He is asking if he should be taking this post workout? According to all foods incorporated he alreay has 2500 kcal in his plan with a fair amount of protein, carb and fat. I am worried that taking this supplement 3 times per day including the rest of the plan will be overkill. I have recommended a Whey protein after training?

What would you advise

Dear Nix
For your own protection in case there are any negative repercussions you need to get this man to return to his doctor and his dietitian because he could develop kidney problems if he takes so much protein and he can precipitate a hypoglycaemic attack if he does too much exercise, without having a source of carbs pre- and post-exercise (rather than protein). If he insists on continuing with body building at least get him to consult the Institute of Sports Nutrition at the University of the North-West in Potchefstroom. He should contact Dr Hattie Wright who is an expert in sports nutrition and will be able to work out a diet including pre- and post-exercise snacks and drinks so that he does not collapse or get ill. The telephone number for the Department of Human Nutrition at Potchefstroom is (018-299-2481) and ask for Dr Hattie Wright or Dr Lise Havemann-Nel. Rather safe than sorry.
Take care

2
Posted by: Nix | 2010/07/30

Thank you so much for the feedback! I have suggested carb pre and post workout...hence the reason he started asking so many questions! He is not a bodybuilder at all, but has always " trained"  and done his " research"  on this type of training and eating. He believes that protein is alpha and omega.

Reply to Nix

Dear Nix
Take care