Question
Posted by: M | 2010/04/20

Diabetic

I have a conflicting problem, or at least I think it is conflicting. I have to eat as much fibre as possible for the diabetic thing, but, it bloats me so much. I am now almost scared to eat. When I dont eat, I feel so much better. Well I feel so much less bloated. The spaced-out feeling is more tolerable. I am obviously doing something wrong.

Dear M
Have you obtained an individual diabetic diet prescription from a clinical dietitian? If not, please for your own sake consult a dietitian ASAP. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight and raised blood lipid levels, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low-fat content and a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. The dietitian will have to guide you in regard to which low-GI grains and cereals you can eat so that you do not develop bloating and also help you to avoid the 'spaced-out feeling', which is probably indicative of low blood sugar and can be highly dangerous.
Take care

1

Dear M
Take care