Posted by: Elrine | 2009-04-13

At age 63, I have been diagnosed with high cholesterol,very high insulin resistance,hypothyroidism and low bone-mass density. I feel overwhelmed and don' t know where to start - medical doctors? supplements? diet?
Incidently, I am 5ft 4in and have gone from 52kg to 67kg since last September,although my food intake has not changed.Possible relevance is that I was temporarily separated from my husband of 40 years last April,[he has adrinking problem] but we are happily together again and his drinking is more or less under control.
Then,too,my Mom died on 4 Dec.2008.
Can' t think of anything else that might help you to help me!

Dear Elrine
If you have been diagnosed, you are probably being treated by a competent doctor already. He will start giving you medication to treat all these problems - probably a thyroid supplement, anti-cholesterol medication, maybe Glucophage tablets and something like Fosamax. The weight gain could be due to a combination of stress and under active thyroid. You do have to change your diet to a diabetic (low GI) diet - it will be good if you can see a dietician or look on the health 24 website under diet for tips on diabetic diet. It is also very important that you do 30 minutes of weight bearing exercise per day ( like walking ) to help for the low bone mass as well as the high insulin resistance.