Posted by: Landie | 2008-11-05

Dear Doc,

I have Diabetes Type 2, I started to exercise 2 months ago, I want to loose some weight but need your advice, I bought myself Biogen (Phenadrine2) Stimulant Free (Contains: Lipo-Drine 1150mg, L-Carnitine, L-Tyrosine, Hydroxy citric Acid, Cayenne powder, Carb-Cutter 400mg Phaseolus Vulgarus, Gymnema sylvestra, Banaba extract, Nutri-Drine 50mg, Chromium Polincotinale, Boron, Vitamin B5, Diuretic blend 240mg, Dandelion herb, Uva Ursi, Buchu Powder) I would like to know if I can use this product to help me loose weight (following a diet and I am exercising) but need something extra to help me control my cravings, and seeing that this is a appetite suppressant and they also say its a lipotropic agent, I would like to know if it is safe for me to use a product like this? Im battling to loose weight, I dont take in any sugar, dont use butter or oil. I also want to know, is it safe for a Type 2 Diabetic to use brown sugar? I dont like diet sugars.

I also would like to know, Im 28, height 1.85m, weight 134kg, what is the correct amount of callories for me to be taking in everyday seeing that I have Diabetes and have to eat small portions in certain time zones to keep my blood sugar steady.

Please help me...

Dear Landie
I trust that as a type 2 diabetic you have been provided by your dr with the necessary medications and have consulted a clinical dietitian for a diet prescription? If you have NOT seen a dietitian then it is essential that you do so and ask him/her to assist you with a weightloss diet that will also help you control your blood sugar levels so that you don't develop cravings which sabotage your weightloss efforts. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will prescribe a low-fat, low glycaemic index (GI) diet for you. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Such a diet and regular exercise will help you to lose weight. I am personally totally opposed to the use of these over-the-counter slimming products because they can cause such dangerous side-effects. When you are on the 'Weight loss' part of the DietDoc site, click on 'Diet Detective' and check out the articles on slimming pills, to see what negative side-effects these different ingredients can cause. Because you are diabetic and probably use diabetic medications I would urge you not to take any products not prescribed by your dr. Your current BMI = 39,2 which is very high, so it would be highly beneficial if you can lose some weight (your diabetes will also improve). Cutting calories as such is not advisable, which is why I recommend that you should first consult a dietitian.
Take care