Question
Posted by: Frank | 2010-06-19

Diabetes ketosis

I have quite a question for the doctor but for this to make sense I need to give the back ground to you.
I have had a bladder removed and rebuilt out of one of the intestine (due to cancer) after this operation a hernia developed and I went in for another operation to repair the hernia this procedure turned out a hopeless mess with the wound tearing open (both the mussel and the skin)
I have been dressing the wound for over a year now and still have about a 4x 5 area exposed and the abdomen mussels have moved 15 cm apart.
There is no question that I will have to go in for a gauze implant of sorts and to pull the two sides of skin together eventually cutting out the paper thin skin which has grown over the past year (there is no lower dermis)
Then in January I developed Diabetes type 2 which is well under control in inject 40 units once a day.
It is very difficult to do to exercise as my back mussels take up all the strain and I find myself putting on a lot of weight.
So here is my question how practical is it to let me drift into a state of ketosis by reducing the units of insulin until I lose enough weight 15 –  20 kg so the new operation will have less abdomen pressure when I have it done?

Frank

Diabetic ketosis can be lethal and qualify as a medical emergency. Therefore, it is definately not an option and I suggest that you consult a doctor and a dietrician for a low calorie diet to loose weight. Your doctor will have to monitor your blood glucose while you are on this diet. Ask your doctor to test your thyroid hormone levels, as this can also account for your weight gain.

Please do not induce a diabetic ketosis, in order to loose weight.

Good Luck.