Posted by: Tokkie | 2010-11-19

Diabetes glucose tolerance test

I had a glucose tolerance test earlier this week and my gp called with the results, but I am completely confused now.

My starting reading was 5.12, which was fine. After the 2 hour wait period it was 10.6. Now, according to a friend who is diabetic, this is too high. But my doc''s response was that it is slightly on the high side, and we don''t need to worry at this stage, but we need to monitor it... So I have no idea what to do now?

Do I have reason to be concerned? What are my options?

A reading of 10.6 is not considered to be diabetes but I suggest that you repeat the test within three months. You should consider a healthy diet, as well as exercise. This will in turn be beneficial.