Posted by: lilly | 2009-04-30

diabetes diet

i would like to know whether you will be able to give us a guidline for a diet. my husband has just been diagnosed with type2 diabetes, and we are not sure what the do' s and dont' s for his diet will be. pls help. just want to know whether you will be able to contact me via my email address, incase i have more questions or concerns.

Dear Lilly
I can for obvious reasons not reply to Readers by e-mail. You can always post any additional queries you may have on this Message Board and I will try to answer you. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your husband's diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight and raised blood lipid levels (?), into account when working out a diet for him, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Your hubby should ask his doctor what type of exercise he is allowed to do and get more active, e.g. he could start going for brisk walks for about 30 min every day, BUT only if the doctor gives permission.