Question
Posted by: Nasreen | 2011-08-16

Diabetes as a result of unhealthy diet in early years?

Hi. I have a 2 year old baby girl that goes for holiday to my in-laws occasionaly (once every 6 weeks or so). I''m concerned that when she''s there, they feed her too much of junk foods (chips, chocolates, sweets, lollipops, etc). Can this lead to diabetes in later years?

At the moment, she is not overweight. She is very active and highly intelligent. There are no signs at this stage to indicate that she may have diabetes. When she''s at home with me, I try to limit her intake of junk foods to as little as possible, opting for more healthier alternatives.

Do I have anything to worry about?

Nasreen

I doubt that she will develop type II diabetes but you should surely discuss the issue with your in-laws, as high amounts of glucose can impair her physical and mental development.