Question
Posted by: Jenn | 2012-09-04

Diabetes and pregnancy

Friends of ours recently found out they might be pregnant. They only did two home tests so for since she is two weeks late and both showed positive. Not sure when she is going for her first doc appointment.
She did however ask me if she could continue with her multivitamin. I told her that usually during pregnancy she should use a pregnancy vitamin since it contains everything needed.
Is there any special " rules"  for pregnancies when the mom is a diabetic? She gives herself insulin shots daily. She has it on a quite severe stage. How does it differ from a pregnancy with a mom who doesn''t have diabetes?
I''m sure the doc will also monitor her well and give her the best advice but I''m also very curious about this.

Diabetic pregnancies are high risk. The diabetes tends to get worse in pregnancy and her insulin doses may need to be changed. Also the kidney function will neeed monitoring. It is important that she sees her doctor as soon as possible.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2012-09-06