Question
Posted by: EDDIE | 2008/07/04

Diabetes an Palm Oil.

I am a type 2 Diabetic and use Canola Oil when needed.
I am trying to investigate the use of Palm Oil, but find very little on the subject (Palm Oil an Diabetes). Can you help?

Dear Eddie
Red palm oil which is rich in tocotrienols (a special form of vit E), beta-carotene, alpha-carotene, other carotenoids and lycopene, is regarded as a particularly healthy oil that can be used by the general population, including patients with heart disease and diabetes. There should be no problem if you use red palm oil sparingly (the diabetic diet should not have a high fat content, even if the fat you use if healthy, and also not have too high an energy content - all fats, including red palm oil contribute 37 kJ per gram and are thus high in energy) as part of your diabetic diet. You will probably be able to buy red palm oil at selected supermarkets and health shops. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then do a Search with the terms "Red Palm Oil' to access the article I wrote on this product a while ago.