Posted by: Janine Horne | 2009-10-01

I was diagnosed a couple of years ago with Type 2, put onto Glucophage / Metformin. I am overweight, and am finding it very difficult to lose weight. I had an operation and for almost 3 months couldn' t swallow properly and so (naughty) did not take my meds for a while. I lost about 9 kg' s, but find that since I started taking my meds again the weight is piling on again especially around my middle. Everyone is under the impression that because I am diabetic and on Glucophage I should be losing weight. This is really stressing me and I almost feel that it is better not to take it as I put on weight when I am on it. Please advise - urgently.

Janine Horne

The sudden loss of weight when you are a diabetic, is not good for your health. How well is your glucose levels controlled and how severe is your Type 2 diabetes?

You will not gain weight if you expend more energy than what you take in per day. Therefore, I suggest that you a vigorous exercise regime and a sensible low calorie diabetic diet.

Posted by: John | 2009-10-01

I want to agree with you!
I am injecting Insulin with the metformin and I put on weight.

Reply to John