Posted by: Dave | 2011-08-22

4years ago i was an alcholic and got pancreatitis and lost a third of my pancreas, i made a full recovery but i had a blood test last week and the doctor phoned me to tell me it looks like i have diabetes and i have to see him next week, it was a quick phone call and now im panicking, i don''''t feel ill or have no symtoms, people are saying all sorts of things like ill have to have injections everyday, i will die young, lose my eyesight, legs amputated, can''''t drive anymore, so is this whats going to happen, how long have i got left.

You should not be concerned. It sounds like you have developed insulin dependence diabetes, due to the fact that your pancreas is much smaller, hence being unable to produce enough insulin. You will have to take daily injections. This is not painful and is done using an insulin pen. The control of your diabetes is very important, as you can develop complications, due to damage of the small arteries/blood vessels. You can live a long and prosperous life, as long as you follow a strict diet and use your medication as prescribed by your doctor.