Question
Posted by: BONGIWE | 2010/12/07

DIABETES

My father is diabetic and he is using medication. He is taking medication from hospital every time but now he looks weak a bit...may i ask if we are allowed to buy drip or is any thing we can buy replacing drip or glucose. When he is sick, at hospital they are no more giving him drip , they just give him tablets and discharge him..Please advise doctor.

Dear Bongiwej
No, you should rather not give him a drip as one needs to monitor the blood sugar levels very carefully to prevent a diabetic coma. Drips are not always needed for diabetics, if they eat and drink well, and the sugar level is not too high, one can treat with tablets alone. One way of checking whether his diabetes is under control is to do a HB A1c test, which a GP can do, if you want to just get a second opinion on whether his diabetes is controlled or not. If not, the GP should refer him to the diabetic specialists clinic (I assume he is only seen in general outpatients at the moment).

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/12/07

Dear Bongiwej