Posted by: Jazz | 2010-11-22

My mom has had type 2 diabetes for over 10yrs. She is a retired midwife - age 66.
Since May she has not been taking care of herself. She was even stopped from using insulin and is now on tablets only cause she was not using the correct dosage.

She has oozing sores all over her legs and a very big sore/hole that looks like she was bitten by a dog - she can no longer walk properly, she has lost a lot of weight.

She refuses to get medical attention and says it is natural (although I have never seen this - i know its not normal)

She does not get any exercise at all - she literally sits the whole day and night!

Is this normal? What can I do?

Your mother is ill and she definately needs medical attention. Her diabetes will have to be controlled in order for the sores to heal. The sores on her legs will progressively get worse and could even cause septicemia. Please convince your mother to consult a doctor urgently.