Question
Posted by: TM | 2010/02/23

diabetes?

Hi Dietdoc, Thanks for your assistance.

My mom recently had a set of blood tests (after 12 hours of starving) for cholesterol, sugar and thyroid function. Her ''bad cholesterol'' is high and her ''good''cholesterol is low. In addition her sugar in that test registered high enough to diagnose diabetes. However, when she revisited her doctor for the results and he did a finger prick test, her sugar was normal. What could be the reason for this?

Also, her thyroid is slightly underactive i think. She''s not currently overweight, but was for many years in her 40s and 50s (now 62). I recommended she visit a dietician, but she refuses saying her problems are genetic not diet related and that she''s got meds now. But I still think it''d be a good idea. Am i wrong?

thanks,
TM

Dear TM
If your Mom had two very different blood sugar results, then it would be a good idea for her to have a so-called blood glucose tolerance test to determine if she is actually diabetic or not. This is something she should discuss with her dr. I agree with you that it is essential for anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your Mom's diabetes, medications and other conditions such as raised blood cholesterol levels, into account when working out a diet for her, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI) and low fat content. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’ and also click on 'You are what you eat' and read the 'Healthy Heart' section.
I hope you can persuade your Mom to do the sensible thing and consult a dietitian.

1

Dear TM