Question
Posted by: Juan | 2009/09/23

Diabetes

How far are they with the research into Diabetes 1 and stem cell treatment. I know they have gone some way but what is the time lines for this?

Expert ImageStem Cell Guest Expert

Under experimental conditions, stem cells can be made to become the insulin-producing beta cells of the body. There is a vast amount of experimental data which indicates that this has promise for the regeneration of insulin producing cells in patients with type I diabetes. To date however, there is no clinical application of these experimental findings, and it will probably be several years before this becomes a reality.